Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Seeing the System



I have come to deeply value the training I received in systems theory during my graduate work in family therapy. It really is a theory of everything! Of course, the application of it can become very difficult at times simply because families and individuals are not machines, even though some of the things that happen in families and family systems appear to be sequential. Anxiety and other generational symptoms can travel around and land on certain individuals in the family system with some amount of predictability. It is also possible to observe how changes made by one member of the family system can sequentially impact all the other members. The art of therapy then is figuring out how to "see" the family system and its movements, and then knowing how to briefly enter into that system to influence change. I've always felt that Emma has an uncanny ability to see the systemic dynamics in individuals and families and know how to move with it. I sometimes get stuck in artistic metaphors and metaphysical gymnastics while she brilliantly dissects and diagnoses the heart of the problem. I guess that's what makes us a good team. I've become really good at spotting that look from Emma in co-therapy sessions that means, "I don't really think you are seeing what I am seeing, and I think you should probably go with me here." I am quick to respond. Don't worry though, when it comes to metaphors, she can't touch me.

-Grant

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just read this: http://ideastoaction.wordpress.com/dr-bowen/bowen-theory/

Might be useful reference to anyone reading the blog.

Anonymous said...

These documentations are required by the attending therapist.
Eliminate calculus, plaques, and stains from the teeth.
Following that they must take two more exams under
the NBRC to become an RRT.
Look into my web blog ... Counselling psychology

Anonymous said...

Good article. I will be dеalіng wіth a fеω оf thesе issuеs as wеll.
.

Αlso νіѕit my blog poѕt :
: stillup.ca

Anonymous said...

But if уou did Oωn sentеnce for Disembarrаss food color рagеs,Gameand action ideas for the motion-рicture ѕhow finԁing Nemо relеаѕеd іn 2003.


Here is my homepage - 4playladies.com

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to pay a quick visit this site and reading the views of all mates on the topic of this post, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.

my blog post - how to treat hemorrhoids