Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Yule Tool and a Perfect Poem

We are all giddy at the Wood household about Thanksgiving break, and the possibility of snowfall within the next two days. We have already decorated for Christmas, and I almost lost my sanity over a pre-lit Christmas tree that was not working. I went into a kind of obsessive trance checking every bulb on every branch, shaking the branch, cursing the tree, drawing a sketch of the tree and then cursing the sketch, etc... Then I found my salvation at Seasonal Concepts-the LightKeeper Pro! As I stood before the in-store video presentation, hope was rekindled deep within my soul. If that friendly, grinning, pudgy guy wearing red reindeer suspenders was right, all of my strivings were about to end. I bought this yule tool for $23 and cradled it in my arms as we left the store. Emma and the kids wanted to see it, but I wouldn't let them. It was mine. I took it home, ripped open the package, read the very clear instructions and re-approached the 9-foot synthetic spruce. Bottom line, it worked! It was my Christmas miracle! It also worked on Audrey's little tree-which I had also cursed earlier in the day (the kids were out of earshot). When the lights came on, Audrey ran up and hugged me and kissed my cheek. I hugged and kissed the LightKeeper Pro. I know exactly what to say this year when we go around and say what we are thankful for.

Seriously though, I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season. I have included here my absolute favorite poem by Robert Frost for you to contemplate as we all wait for the snow to fall.



Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

No comments: